INSTITUTE FOR BUDGETARY AND SOCIO-ECONOMIC RESEARCH (IBSER)
The Institute for Budgetary and Socio-Economic Research (IBSER) is an all-Ukrainian public nonprofit organization established in June 2007 by a group of leading Ukrainian experts with years of experience in the financial area. It aims to facilitate the comprehensive and stable socio-economic development of Ukraine via analytical and applied research, the dissemination of information on budget and economic situation, and the implementation of training programs.
- fostering trends toward increasing the transparency of the budget process and fighting corruption via the implementation of advanced methods of budgeting and strategic planning at the central and local levels; facilitating public access to information;
- promoting public awareness of fiscal and economic processes in the country by disseminating information and implementing educational programs, and performing other applied research activities in support of socio-economic reforms in Ukraine;
- contributing to international integration, in particular via the organization of training trips to foreign countries aimed at studying the best international experiences; holding international events;
- assisting on its market and democratic reforms paths by conducting research and analytical studies of budget and socio-economic processes and observing taxation and budgetary trends to identify the impact of fiscal and financial policy on sectors of the economy.
Since 1 October 2011, IBSER has been implementing the new Municipal Finance Strengthening Initiative (MFSI-II) Roll-out project supported by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) (2011- 2015).
The project is focusing its activities on the following:
- providing legislative, methodological, and organizational support to central and local governments in disseminating the performance program budgeting (PPB) method to all local budgets of Ukraine;
- developing and implementing financial practices that promote energy efficiency in selected cities;
- improving public awareness about the process of State budgeting, revenues and expenditures.
The project activities will be implemented at the central and local levels simultaneously in order to ensure the top efficiency and support of project objectives, in particular, by establishing partner relations between the representatives of various branches of government, non-governmental organizations, private companies, and other stakeholders.
At the national level, the project will provide assistance to the Ministry of Finance, other government ministries, and relevant Verkhovna Rada committees on the issues of improving current legislation, developing methodology and implementing regulations aimed at strengthening local socioeconomic development and introducing an efficient and transparent budgeting system.
At the local level, MFSI-II will support and expand the existing network of highly-knowledgeable consultants, will arrange a series of workshops for local governments and local branches of State Treasury, provide consultations on issues related to developing and implementing PPB-based budget programs and will assist in implementing a system for monitoring energy expenditures.
In addition, the project will work together with the partner cities to build the capacity of municipal utilities in conducting modern financial analysis and planning. In particular, the appropriate methodology will be developed and the staff of these municipal utilities will receive consultations in the course of implementation of the projects in their localities.
In order to discuss and disseminate the project achievements, the practice will continue of holding Financial and Economic Forums, and support will continue to be provided to the activities of the National Advisory Board on issues of efficient public finance management.
To improve the public awareness about the processes underway in the budget system of Ukraine, MFSI-II will prepare and publish periodical monthly, quarterly, and annual bulletins.